[Courses] [C Programming] Anyone still here?

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Mon May 27 10:16:44 EST 2002

Julie:

> ...they taught "theory".  Which, I
> suspect, means they didn't know how to program.

My guess was a little different: I think at least one of my instructors
simply wasn't up on the latest language, and didn't want to be forced to
admit his competence was in Urdu, basically.
	And this was back when people actually spoke it.

> How do you know when Dave has finally shut up?

You're not the first to ask that question.

> Designing software is a dying skill.  Most of the
> programmers I work with today code first and never design.

It's surprising (and maybe a little scary) how often I hear that. The time
pressures on just about everyone (and the disposability of most code) seem
to be encouraging this situation.
	Interesting that it's happening at the same time reusable code is
the watchword in language design. Just another little conundrum.