[Courses] [C Programming] Anyone still here?

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sun May 26 23:24:31 EST 2002

Linda:
> Thanks Dave. I'm fishing around in Thinking in Java now

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have (and find it as useful in getting
started thinking out a program). Though of course I left out all manner of
good ideas added by others...

Charlotte:
> "get your MCSE without touching a computer!"

Wow, I don't see those (and I'm grateful). Sounds like the "physics
without math" crowd ... ouch.

> Programming Logic...helpful in understanding how to write a program
> Pseudocode and flow charts are what we've covered exhaustively so far.

Well, at least one instructor agrees with me. I do think it a good place
to start, but there's also a good argument for just starting with K&R.

> And getting over the learning curve

I'm a bit slow, myself. I often have to go back to a concept two or three
times before the light goes on, and sometimes there are weeks
intervening...

Jenn:
> If you're math-phobic, though, start by thinking about recipes.

I love that approach. Particularly poignant when you consider that
"algorithm" and "recipe" are nearly synonyms.