[Courses] [C Programming] Anyone still here?

Charlotte Oliver charlotte.oliver at rcn.com
Fri May 24 17:16:05 EST 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:54:32AM -0700, Dave North wrote:
> That may help explain the surprising number of CS graduates I've met who
> don't seem to have even a rudimentary grasp of programming.

Now can you explain all the MCSEs that have trouble troubleshooting? :)

Nah, that's easy...it's the "get your MCSE without touching a computer!"
schools that I keep hearing ads for on the radio.

*sigh*

> 	There are many ways to map out a program in a very general sense
> before you start coding. Two that come to mind are flow charts and
> pseudocode. The former has some conventions, but is almost what you might

I'm actually taking a class at my local community college right now
on Programming Logic.  I'm not very far into it, but it's been very
helpful in understanding how to write a program, rather than just
how to write a program in C, like our text teaches.

Pseudocode and flow charts are what we've covered exhaustively so far.
I find it very helpful though.

> > Is  it one of those things that's either intuitive to you or it isn't?
> I wish I knew! But I suspect it's just a question of practice and thinking
> things through a bit.

And getting over the learning curve, in my case. :)

Charlotte