[Courses] [C Programming] Anyone still here?

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu May 23 18:55:39 EST 2002

Mary writes:
> I'm still here. I know C, I teach it at university, but I was hoping to
> be able to help teach.

Me too, and like Mary, I don't have the specific textbook.  But I'd be
happy to help if anyone has questions, or wants to work through a
project.  I hang out on the #linuxchix pretty often, and that's a
very friendly place to ask questions.

I find that for me, the best way to learn a new language (even back when
I was just starting out) is to come up with a project to do: either
think of something fairly simple that I'd like to program, or some
fairly simple change that I'd like to make to an open-source program
that I use.  The key is that if it's something that's personally
interesting to you, there's more motivation to finish it.

We've been talking about mentoring programs over in grrls-only
(I hope it's okay to say that here :-), and projects like this are
perfect for mentoring.  Several of us have expressed interest in
being involved with this.  So if any students think you might want
to try a project, I encourage you to show up on the IRC channel and
introduce yourself and describe projects you might want to do --
you might find people who would love to help you get started.
Or post here -- it might inspire new ideas if folks get started
talking about things they'd like to be able to do in C.

(Guys too -- just because it springs out of a grrls-only discussion
doesn't mean that guys can't get mentors.)

	...Akkana