[Courses] Book, etc.

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Wed Jan 16 13:39:24 EST 2002

OK, well, since I'm course coordinator, and there wasn't a consensus among
folks who weighed in on the earlier discussion about a book, I'm just going
to be arbitrary (well, not really, it's one of the books I have and I liked
the little bit I've done of it) and choose Practical C programming by Steve
Oualline, published by O'Reilly. Several folks said they had it, and I
heard no negative comments about it, as I did about other books.

There are 23 chapters, 21 of them have exercises (chapter 1 and 23 do not).

I think 3 chapters every 2 weeks seems doable - that means that this course
would go 16 weeks, which is almost 4 months. Let's start with that pace,
and if it seems like that is too fast or too slow for the majority of
folks, we can adjust.

Let's arbitrarily set every other Friday as the date when the 3 chapters
are "due".

Oh, btw - your course coordinator is going to be out of e-mail contact from
later tonight through the 27th.  I'm going on vacation. :-) Since this is
true, and people need time to get the book, let's set Friday February 8th
as the first deadline, for chapters 1,2 and 3. How does that sound?

IRC: the IRC server on linuxchix.org isn't working - I'll try and get Jenn
or Dancer on it when I get back.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net