[Courses] So - are we moving on?

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Feb 11 17:49:22 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Michelle Murrain (Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:51:06PM -0500):
> Friday was the deadline for the first 3 chapters of the book. Are we ready
> to move on to the next set of 3 chapters? How are people doing. Feeling
> comfortable, etc.? I know some questions have come up, gotten answered.
> Next chapters: 4 - basic declarations and expressions, 5 - arrays, and 6 -
> decision and control structures. Yay!

	Yep, I'm into Chapter 4 now, and I understand most everything so
far.  I did have a question, though.  I have solved one of the exercises
for Chapter 4, and my program works, but it seems really ugly to me.
There must be a more elegant way to do it.  (It's the "print HELLO in
5x7 block letters" question.)

	I didn't want to post to the list and say "Surely this can't be
it" in case others hadn't yet gotten that far and wanted to approach the
problem without seeing someone else's answer.  Should we institute some
sort of "Chapter X Solution" tag in the subject line, or something?
Spoiler space, for those with auto-display mailers?  Or do people not
care if they see someone else's approach before trying it themselves?

	Once we decide on something, I'll post my ugly solution.  I'm
really looking forward to the decision and control structures chapter.
Or dreading it.  That's the part of programming theory I never really
grokked.  [grin]  But I remain optimistic; this time I'll get it.

Cheers,
Raven

"What happens if you boot without the boot disk?  Where does it die?"
"If I boot without any boot diskette, it just boots into Windows."
  -- me and Katie, regarding OS problems