[Courses] op sys questons...

Rei Ayanami eva_00 at juno.com
Sat Feb 9 04:15:24 EST 2002

hi everyone, i hope you don't mind that I digress a bit.  I am currently
taking an intro to op sys course, and the professor steadfastly refuse to
recognize this as an introductory course.  In a week or so in the
semester we have to write threadsharing programs of which I have very
little clue of. And there seem to be a shortage of 'good' intro operating
systems book (the one we're using, by Stallings, is terrible).

C is relatively new to me.  I have been programming in c++ from the
start, so taking this course meant refreshing/learning C all over again.
So I am asking you for help on this project in op sys, not necessarily in
codes but just help me understand exactly how critical points (or
processes/threads crossing bridges) are handled.  I don't understand why
we have to get the thread ID and find out whether the thread wants to
'cross'.  I also want to understand mutexes and how I can use to lock the
threads as it is crossing.  The program I am working on is very similar
to the five philosophers eating with three sets of chopsticks problems.
Does C not have an STL of it's own, or predefined data structures and
their functions? (you can see how I am used to c++) I have looked up
other university websites to learn more about threads (and also sadly
learn how inadequate and disorganized Florida State U cs program really
is compare to other colleges).  I am studying with a professor who
believes that since this is a 4000 level course there should be no excuse
to not know C (even though our curriculum is heavily based on c++ and
only one C course in the entire undergrad req.).  Please if anyone is
willing to help it'll be terrific.  Thank you.--Rei