[Courses] [FAQ] LinuxChix courses Technical FAQ

LinuxChix FAQs lcx.faqs at linuxchix.org
Thu Aug 29 11:31:58 EST 2002

LinuxChix: courses Technical FAQ

Terri Oda

Mary Gardiner

Revision History
Revision 1.0                               March 2002
Revision 1.1                               April 2002
Mary added two questions about replying to the lists, and HTML mail, to Terri's
original FAQ.

    1.2. Why can't I just hit 'Reply' in my mail reader and have my reply go to
        the lists? I have to type in the address of the list myself!
    1.3. So, if I can't hit 'Reply', how can I reply to the lists?
    1.4. I'm not getting mail from linuxchix anymore. What's wrong?
    1.5. My mail got "held for approval" because it said I wasn't a subscriber.
        What do I do?
    1.6. My mail to the linuxchix lists isn't getting through at all!
    1.7. I keep making the mistake of sending from the wrong address. Do I need
        to subscribe it?
    1.8. How do I get my password?
    1.9. Someone suggested I turn off HTML Mail! Why? How?

The latest version of this FAQ can be found at http://www.linuxchix.org/content
/docs/faqs/technical.html?listname=courses

This FAQ is posted to most LinuxChix mailing lists every month.

1. Mailing lists: Technical questions

1.1. How do I unsubscribe?

There are three common ways:

  * The web interface

    email address in the "Edit Options" box. From there, you should get a list
    of information about your subscription, including an option to unsubscribe.

  * By email

    Send a mail to courses-request at linuxchix.org with the subject
    "unsubscribe" (or click on this link: mailto:

  * By asking a list admin.

    If you're having a lot of trouble with unsubscribing, ask a human. :) The
    list admins' addresses are on the bottom of the pages on the web interface,
    and they can also be contacted using the courses-admin at linuxchix.org
    address.

1.2. Why can't I just hit 'Reply' in my mail reader and have my reply go to the
lists? I have to type in the address of the list myself!

The LinuxChix lists do not have the Reply-To header set to the list address.
Hence when you press Reply, the reply goes to the original sender.

There are many good reasons why LinuxCHix lists do not have the Reply-To set.
These reasons are explained in Chip Rosenthal's essay Reply-To munging
considered harmful. If you have an argument that is not addressed in this
essay, bring it up on the lists and the LinuxChix admins may reconsider their
decision.

1.3. So, if I can't hit 'Reply', how can I reply to the lists?

Almost all mail readers have a 'Reply All' or 'Group Reply' option, which will
reply to the original author and Cc the list. Most people choose to reply this
way.

If you wish to reply just to the list, you can either put the list address in
the To field manually, or you can use a mail reader that sets and respects the
Mail-Followup-To header. Mutt, for example, can be configured to recognise
lists you are subscribed to and has a 'List Reply' function in addition to
'Reply' and 'Group Reply'.

1.4. I'm not getting mail from linuxchix anymore. What's wrong?

There are a few possibilities:

  * No one has sent any mail to the list(s) you're on for a little while.

    To check if this is the case, visit the archives at http://
    mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/courses/.

  * You were bouncing mail and have had mail delivery (temporarily) disabled by
    the list software.

    If you bounce too many messages, the list software stops trying to send you
    mail. To check if this is the case, go to http://mailman.linuxchix.org/
    mailman/listinfo/courses, enter your email address in the box near the
    bottom where the button says "Edit Options", and check to make sure that
    you are set to be receiving mail. Change it if you're not and your address
    is working again.

    If you didn't know you were bouncing already, you can ask for a copy of the
    bounced message to help you figure out what went wrong.

  * The mailing list is actually down.

    Try pinging linuxchix.org to see if the machine is up and your machine can
    reach it. If it is, try contacting one of the admins to find out what's
    going on.

1.5. My mail got "held for approval" because it said I wasn't a subscriber.
What do I do?

If you want the mail to go through right away, your best option is to resend it
from the address at which you're subscribed. If you resend, don't be surprised
if you see a duplicate copy come through later when a listadmin approves it
without noticing that you've resent.

If you're not in a hurry or don't want to or can't resend, most legitimate
posts will be approved by an admin when she gets them and has time to deal with
them. This usually takes less than a day, sometimes two.

1.6. My mail to the linuxchix lists isn't getting through at all!

It is possible that there is some error with the machine hosting the
linuxchix.org mailing lists. Check the archives of the list, linked from http:/
/mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman/listinfo to see if your post has appeared. Check
if there have been other posts to the list in the last few days. Mail the list
admins, simply place -admin after the list name (the courses admins' email is
<courses-admin at linuxchix.org>) to ask if there is a problem.

At present, the LinuxChix hosts are using Realtime Blackhole List filtering on
LinuxChix lists. If your mail is originating from a computer that is a known
open relay, then your post to LinuxChix will bounce. If this is the case, and
you are using an ISP account, you should be using their SMTP server to relay
your mail rather than connecting directly - ask their technical support what
the SMTP server's address is and ask them or us how to set up your mail to go
via their server. If not then you might want to investigate how to be removed
from the RBL. You might want to let us know by asking someone to forward mail
to us.

1.7. I keep making the mistake of sending from the wrong address. Do I need to
subscribe it?

We prefer that you do subscribe any address you use frequently for posting.
Since you can subscribe an address without receiving mail to that address, it's
often easier to just subscribe an address than to remember to switch your From:
line!

Subscribing without receving mail ("nomail" option)

  * Subscribe the address from which you want to send mail.

    courses and enter the email address in the "Edit Options" box at the
    bottom of the page.

  * On this options page, set "Disable mail delivery" to "On", enter your
    password in the box at the bottom, and press "Submit my Changes"

Voila! Now you can send mail from your address without having it held for
approval.

1.8. How do I get my password?

Your passwords are mailed out to you once a month, but if you want it sooner,
go to the listinfo page http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman/listinfo/courses
and enter your email address in the "Edit Options" box at the bottom of the
page. This will bring up a page of information about your subscription, and you
can click on the button marked "Email my password to me"

1.9. Someone suggested I turn off HTML Mail! Why? How?

Short answer: Instructions for turning off HTML mail in many clients can be
found at http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

HTML formatting is used to format your mail in the same way that web pages can
be formatted. It is used by default by many mail readers.

However, there are many many people subscribed to the LinuxChix lists (and to
most other lists). A substantial number of those people do not like to receive
HTML mail on lists.

These groups include:

  * Some subscribers who use text-based email clients that can't display web
    pages (please note that most common text-based email clients, including
    Pine and Mutt, can in fact produce a text version of HTML mail, if you
    don't know how to do this with your client, you might want to ask the <
    techtalk at linuxchix.org> list about it).

  * Subscribers who get the digest version of the lists (they receive one mail
    a day containing all the mail to the list that day, rather than receiving
    each mail as it is sent to the list). Your HTML mail is simply bundled in
    with all the text mails and loses the headers that allow most mailers to
    recognize and render your HTML mail properly.

  * Subscribers who have expensive and slow connections. HTML mail is larger
    than text mail because of all the extra formatting that comes with it.

  * Our generous server hosts, whose server must send out hundreds of copies of
    your large HTML mails (if the HTML adds 500 bytes to your email, that could
    mean 100K of extra work for the LinuxChix server!). Our hosts are
    volunteers and their bandwidth is not infinite!