[Courses] [security] Crypto Scientists Crack Prime Problem

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Aug 13 14:44:42 EST 2002

At 8/13/02 02:43 PM , Raven Alder wrote:

>This is why it's hard to trust closed source and proprietary crypto
>algorithms.  You're at the mercy of the vendor; you have no way of
>seeing for yourself whether it sucks or not.  In my opinion, the best
>crypto setups are the ones where everyone knows the algorithm and
>implementation details, and still can't break it.  If it's stood the
>test of time for mathematicians and computer scientists worldwide for
>years, odds are good that it's a stable crypto setup.

So, what are some crypto systems/standards/algorithms that fit this
criterion? I believe RSA is one -- the algorithm has been widely available
for educational purposes for something close to 20 years, and AFAIK, it's
been subjected to a *lot* of analysis, and still proves computationally
unfeasible to crack. Are there any others?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Wind in wings,/Two angels falling
  To die like this/With a last kiss..."
                                                 --Siouxsie and the