[Courses] [courses][python]Assignment 2

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Aug 3 20:32:19 EST 2002

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 04:10:36AM -0400, octal at solon-ohio.com wrote:
> I did notice that it seems to work a bit better if you 'chmod 700' the
> file before running it! ;-) I don't have any non-linux operating systems
> installed so I'm clueless about differences on other operating systems.

You can run your script as "./test.py" on linux only if you've set it
7xx, or 5xx because programs need to be both readable and executable. If you
haven't changed the mode, you can run it with "python test.py" because
then the program you're running is actually Python itself, which will be
set executable.

Not all operating systems need you to mark programs as executable - they
might determine this in other ways, for example, requiring a particular
file extension.

-Mary