[Courses] [security] tcp_syncookies

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Sat Apr 13 01:39:41 EST 2002

Me again...

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..

I have been doing some more reading about this fascinating firewalling thing, and have a question about countering some of the more common attacks like ping of death and others.

The one I am thinking of is the SYN-flood attack. So you, I discovered /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies. :)

Now before I go happily "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies" -ing, are there any implications I should know about that makes this not such a good idea?

Hamster.