[Courses] [Security] Firewalls: Ipchains syntax and implementation

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Apr 9 22:32:20 EST 2002

At 4/9/02 10:18 PM , Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:

> > I admit I'm used to the Windows world. We never had problems with NT
> > Workstations losing their leases if the machines were on -- they renew
> > automatically.
>
>         With Linux, some dhcp clients do and some don't, I think.  I'm
>not terribly experienced with this one, since the only *nix workstations
>tended to be the admin boxes with static IPs.

I must admit, this is the boat I'm in, too. IME, *nix boxes have always had
static IPs. Of course, I know that this isn't universal -- lots of people
have connected Linux boxes to their old-style ISP using PPP -- it's just
that I've personally never run into a dynamic-IPed *nix box.

>         Does the above make sense to you?  If not, please say so, and
>I'll try to explain a different way.  Subnet masks are one of the most
>confusing concepts in networking; mastering them is really something to
>be proud of.

If you find the thing I wrote to Malcolm on TechTalk to be useful, feel
free to forward it over here. I think there may be an even clearer way to
have described stuff, but I think I did a decent job, at least. (My writeup
essentially explains CIDR notation, and assumes you're used to 255.0.0.0,
255.255.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 as subnet masks for Class A, B and C networks
(and know what Class A/B/C is about), but doesn't really assume much (if
any) more.)

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Before you slip into unconsciousness,
  I'd like to have another kiss,