(Sonja) [Courses] Dear participants...

Sonja Krause-Harder skh at gmx.com
Sun Apr 7 08:32:38 EST 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 01:55:56PM +1000, Shuying wrote:

> I've heard that tcl/tk is good if you want...

I know I'm repeating myself: this is not a class on Tcl, so please do
not expect full coverage of all aspects of the language. It's a class
about programming, and I will use other languages for concepts that
aren't naturally expressed in Tcl (e.g. object oriatation).

> to hack up some really simple
> gui program quickly. However I've never used tcl myself and I'm wondering
> how it compares with perl and shell scripting. i.e. when would code in tcl
> be more elegant/simple in tcl when compared with equivalent code in
> perl/shell script.

I don't know whether I will go that deep into language details, and I
really don't want to advocate any language for any task - I think that
language features only play a minor part in deciding which language is
best for a given task. Important factors may be: skills the developers
involved already have, availability on certain platforms, performance,
language complexity, whether tools and libraries are available, and
many more.

Luckily, other people are already advocating Tcl/Tk, so you might find
the information you need on:

	http://dev.scriptics.com/advocacy/

kind regards,

Sonja