[Courses] [Basics] Lesson #2: Data (II) - Variables, Lists, and a Loop

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sun Apr 7 10:40:47 EST 2002

> I'm glad that you like it (even if it is _still_ not intended as
> a Tcl class ;-) - maybe I introduce a new language every 10 lessons

Well that would be fun too! But I admit it: I'm already onto the basics
of programming (well, since 1974) but like Linus, I don't know _anything_
about tcl.
	Oops. No, now I do.

> (Re-reading sections [1] - [5] of the Tcl man page

Okay, I've been having a problem -- my install doesn't respond to man Tcl.
I guess it's time to go look at why ... doodle doodle ... oh, whaddya
know? The only reason I put tcl on was to run "make xconfig" and the
default installation doesn't include tcl8.3-doc, which appears to contain
the man pages.
	Okay, got it. And yup, there's the explanation.

> (Note to the others: what we see here is tclsh in interactive mode. You can
> just type
>
> 	$ tclsh
>
> and enter tcl commands at the tclsh prompt, as seen above...
> I did not tell you about interactive mode

You didn't tell me to do that? Oh my. I guess I just stumbled into it and
made a complication for you. I'm sorry! I had no idea. I thought that was
what I was supposed to do all along... shame on me.
	Oops. Come to think of it, I'm saying "oops" a lot.

> Did this answer your questions?

Very much so, thanks!

Dave