[Announce] Gender (im)balance in African FOSS communities

sksowe sksowe at gmail.com
Tue May 8 07:47:33 UTC 2012

Dear All,
I am analyzing preliminary results from my FOSSDeva survey
(http://servnet.ias.unu.edu/limesurvey/index.php?sid=86668&newtest=Y&lang=en).

Result (N =205) i got is 82.93% males and 14.63% females.
Am i right in assuming that there is more female participation in
African FOSS communities than reported elsewhere in the literature ?
such as:

1). Lin, Yuwei (2005a) A Techno-Feminist Perspective on the Free/Libre
Open Source Software Development. GenderIT.org. Retrieved March 9, 2010
from
http://www.genderit.org/upload/ad6d215b74e2a8613f0cf5416c9f3865/lin5.pdf
2). Lin, Yuwei (2005b) Inclusion, diversity and gender equality: Gender
Dimensions of the Free/Libre Open Source Software Development.
GenderIT.org. Retrieved March 9, 2012 from
http://www.genderit.org/upload/ad6d215b74e2a8613f0cf5416c9f3865/lin3_gender.pdf
3). Ghosh and Glott (2005) FLOSSpols: Skills Survey Interim Report.
http://flosspols.org/deliverables/D10HTML/FLOSSPOLS-D10-skills%20survey_interim_report-revision-FINAL.html

In my assumption and survey, i have not investigated whether the two
genders are involved in different activities (e.g. coding, project
management, advocacy, bug reporting and fixing, etc.)

Regards,

SKSowe