[Announce] New NOSI primer on FOSS released!

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Tue Oct 9 17:25:03 UTC 2007

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Today, we're releasing the new version of the NOSI primer. "Choosing and
Using Free and Open Source Software: A Primer for Nonprofits" is a
no-nonsense, easy to read report that helps nonprofits  understand what
free and open source software (FOSS) is, what options  are available for
their organizations, and how they can access support for using FOSS.

The primer includes all of the basics, and also discusses how to look at
TCO and strategic value in making decisions about FOSS. There are many
case studies describing the use of various FOSS applications in the
nonprofit sector.

Fabulously, it also includes a live feed via API from Social Source
Commons (http://www.socialsourcecommons.org) of a particular set of 5
FOSS toolboxes: software for the  server, for the web, and for the three
flavors of desktops, Windows, Mac and Linux.

Read it on the web, or download a PDF: http://nosi.net/projects/primer

We're looking forward to your feedback and contributions! Feel free to
comment - you don't need to create an account on the NOSI site to
comment on the primer.

Peace,
Michelle
--