[Announce] [Fwd: LPI and WOWEM Invitations to Participate in Professional Development]

LinuxChix Coordinator jenn at linuxchix.org
Fri Mar 26 17:46:18 EST 2004

The other night, I got an email and then a phone call from Stacy
Gildenston. She works with a company called Linux Professional
Institute, which is trying to provide certifications for Linux
professionals - essentially, a way for 'management'-type people to know
which Linux sysadmins, programmers, and techs actually know what they're
doing.

LPI is also interested in increasing the general 'professionalism' of
Linux techy-types, including reducing the number and severity of
incidents like Raven's recent experience with the IRC sexist jerks.

LPI's work is in producing the exams and arranging for other companies
to actually administer the exams, all over the world. LPI apparently is
trying to keep the cost of doing the exams down as much as possible,
especially in places where the average income is low.

Stacy is trying to find people who can help produce exams - and became
conscious that the majority of their exam developers were male. That's
what brought her to LinuxChix in the first place. She's eager to find
female techie types who are interested in helping LPI, and also for a
new project of her own.

Her new project is about providing technical education to women, both in
the third world and in the developed countries.

The biggest thing Stacy offers us is this: she knows how to get funding,
and how to get 'suits' interested.
What she lacks is access to techie people. That's us.

She's willing to listen to any project in the general 'supporting women
in technology' theme. Many or most of the projects we've been bemoaning
a lack of funding for - the mentoring schemes, the 'big sister' schemes
- fit closely into her 'WOWEM' concept. And _she has funding_.

We have tech.

Please look at her letter, be patient with her 'businessese' language,
and get in touch with her.

Jenn V.