[Actionchix] Looking for interviewees regarding women in FOSS development

Yeonju Oh hysterogenic at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:42:56 UTC 2012

Dear all,

First of all, I apologize if this message is merely one of the numerous
interview requests, and you find this irrelevant to the mailing list.

I am a PhD student majoring in communication studies at Bowling Green State
University, OH. I am currently writing a dissertation on women's
experiences in Free and Open Source development. More specifically, I
examine how labor relations works in FOSS communities along the gendered
line from feminist and political economy perspectives, and how the
male-dominated environment of the communities prevents more diverse
knowledge from being produced by explicitly/implicitly excluding women.

I will be staying in San Francisco from May 24th to June 22nd to interview
women in FOSS development. I wonder if any of you would be interested in
participating in an interview. I assume that all of you must be busy for
various projects, but your participation would be a great contribution to
my field where discussions on free culture are increasingly important. I
want my dissertation project to reflect the female participants' nuanced
thoughts and experiences by meeting them in person rather than relying on
numbers or short answers. I sincerely hope some of you can take some time
to share your knowledge as an open source advocate.

If you have any questions about my project or me. You can email me at
either hysterogenic at gmail.com or oyeonj at bgsu.edu. Or you can visit my blog
that I created for introducing my research and myself (
http://fcodeofethics.wordpress.com/<https://mail.bgsu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=11c70b91e65a4fc5819a2e79d049d54a&URL=http%3a%2f%2ffcodeofethics.wordpress.com%2f>).
You can share this email on other forum as you like.

Warm regards,

Yeon Ju Oh
PhD Candidate
School of Media and Communication