[Actionchix] *Vote: Linux Chix mag "audience", "title" and "motto" - Closes Saturday Sept. 15th

Beth Skwarecki beth-linuxchix at loxosceles.org
Mon Sep 10 17:18:53 UTC 2007

> 1. ** What is our content? **
>
> A) An open source publication (Linux, Solaris, etc.).
> B) Linux-centric (open source).
> C) Linux-centric with no emphasis on open source vs. non-open.
> D) Women-centric regular columns (like upcoming women software events,
> etc.).
> E) Specify Other.

A and D. What better place to read about events and issues related to women
in computing? Women-centric columns would be a great resource for the women
who read our magazine, but I wouldn't worry about scaring off the guys;
making women in computing more visible is a good thing to do.

> 2. ** Who is our audience? **
>
> A) All (experts/newbies, all gender identities).
> B) Emphasis on Women in the tech world, but friendly to other gender
> identities as well.
> C) Emphasis on Women in the tech world period.
> D) Specify Other.

A. I see our magazine as being helpful and useful for all types of
geeks, but we'll be especially welcoming to women.

> - Do we want to use the "Linux Chix" trademark?  Will it help us in
> reaching our audience?
> - Do we want a title that doesn't include any gender references so we
> can have a broader audience?

I like the idea of including the Linuxchix name in our title, tagline, or
somewhere in the branding. For example...

Linuxchix Magazine: blah blah tagline
Cool Magazine Name by Linuxchix: blah blah tagline
Cool Magazine Name: blah blah from Linuxchix

Say a reader follows a link to one of our articles, and while reading,
notices the title/branding. If the reader knows about linuxchix, she might
be glad to see we have a magazine, and want to read more; if the reader has
never heard of linuxchix, she might be curious about who we are and what
we do.

With no gender references in the title, readers might not realize (at first)
what sets us apart: that our magazine is written by women and is
woman-friendly. I don't think we'll scare any guys away with a girly name;
if our content is good, they'll come back.

-beth

--
Beth Skwarecki
http://loxosceles.org