[Actionchix] Should I register 'Chixbits.com'?

Gita Lal justG at gitagrrl.com
Thu Nov 8 14:59:54 UTC 2007

On 08 Nov, 2007, at 09:38 , Charlotte Oliver wrote:

> Oh, as an additional thought, I really feel strongly that we should
> not use
> GoDaddy, since they use very sexual advertising.  (They recently had a
> swimsuit spread linked off of their main page, for example.)
>
> I actually wrote them to complain a while back about their advertising
> campaign.  Complaint and response discussed here:
> http://www.ordinarycanary.com/2007/10/27/rabble-rousing-geekdom/
>
> :)

What Charlotte said. Also:

- Any reason we want to register chixbits.com instead of chixbits.org?
If the publication is to be prominently affiliated with LinuxChix
itself, and if it is not actually a commercial entity, wouldn't
chixbits.org be better? I was just thinking that it would lead to some
URL confusion ("wait, was that linuxchix.com and chixbits.org? no way,
chixbits.com and linuxchix.org? no wait, why didn't they just pick
one?").

- We're probably all rather experienced with domain registration and
have our own preferences, so I'm not meaning for this to turn into a
registrar debate, but my own experience bouncing around over several
years has led me to namecheap. As much as I dislike GoDaddy's adverts,
I am almost more irked by their upselling when you try to check out.
One is bombarded by screen after screen of additional options, with a
wee link at the bottom that says "No thanks, continue to checkout" (or
something along those lines). Meanwhile, one is concerned that
important options are being overlooked in one's haste to click past
the selling. Grr.

I have found registration at namecheap to be a simple, fast, no muss-
no fuss process. As well, though this may be of little concern to
LinuxChix, GoDaddy has this horrendous process for whois privacy. It's
a separate company called DomainsByProxy, it's an additional annual
fee that's nearly as much as registering the domain itself, and the
site's usability is just atrocious. If privacy is on, even if the
domain is unlocked, it's not possible to transfer it to another
registrar. I've been trying for days to have the bloody privacy thing
removed just so I can transfer my domain away from GoDaddy.
namecheap's whois privacy thing is optional, free, and enabling/
disabling it is as simple as a tickbox on what is a very intuitive
admin UI.

Fwiw.

.g