[Volunteers] Re: [Actionchix] The former website effort: an apology to Jen and Gloria

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu Mar 22 18:27:37 UTC 2007

Mary Gardiner wrote:
> I wonder if this isn't an idea that would be better run as a separate
> project, say, as a course on web frameworks, or a group project to set
> up some kind of website for some other purpose.

I suspect we agree more than disagree on this. I think the core services
should definitely be run on a stable platform. It would be great to
setup learning projects, similar to courses, but with the possibility of
having a space that the greater community can experience through
something.linuxchix.org. It'd be like like the plethora of beta projects
that Google has, except ours will probably be more in flux.  If it ends
up that people really like them and we develop a critical mass of
volunteers, they can become core services.

> I suppose the question will be better resolved once the new website is
> in place and we get a reasonable idea of how many volunteers there are
> for ongoing content maintainence. The current website's scope is outside
> our current volunteer capacity by a long way, but there will be new
> volunteers when it is updated, so I can't predict the energy level.

Yes, probably, but I think we could structure this in a way that's
independent of the core Web site.  There was, for example, a huge
interest in Ruby a year ago and we weren't able to capitalize on that.
It'd be great if we could turn that energy into something that's only a
course, but also a visible project that many people can participate in
(and not just as developers).

Of course, a lot of this will depend on who's chosen as the coordinator,
which will in part determine the character of LinuxChix.

Jen-Mei