[Volunteers] Re: [Actionchix] The former website effort: an apology to Jen and Gloria

Gloria W strangest at comcast.net
Thu Mar 22 03:08:53 UTC 2007

> Yeah, I would have loved doing something in Ruby, but it would probably
> have been something from scratch (and there were also comments at the
> time that it didn't support i18n).  As we move forward, I think it would
> be nice to allow other technologies in.  I mean, there's probably a lot
> you could do in Drupal and PHP, but I think it'd make for a more diverse
> and interesting volunteer experience if we could choose to do some parts
> of the site using other things like Python/CherryPy or Ruby/Rails.
> Probably non-essential parts unless we could get a critical mass going.
> We could even mark them Beta. ;-)

This is my hope as well, to have several intermingled web frameworks
running, and allow volunteers to poke into each one, with designated
helpers to answer questions on the various frameworks. The best way I've
seen this done is to simply have links from a page served by framework A
point to another page served by framework B. I would love to see us get
to that point.

Gloria