[Actionchix] Status of new website

Gloria W strangest at comcast.net
Mon Mar 12 16:53:55 UTC 2007

Hi Mary, and everyone,

I wanted to be more involved back then, but I was tasked with server
migrations at my day job, and freelance work at night, and it was a bit
insane. I am working entirely from home now, mostly on freelance stuff,
so I do have more time.

I was wondering if we're still determined to use Zope/Plone. Since this
time, I have migrated our entire company to something called CherryPy,
and I find it to be more flexible, easier to use, less caching delays,
no template restrictions, and the list goes on.

I'd be very happy to actually teach it, and give you a very useful,
functional CherryPy "instance", with basic Postgresql connectivity
(using both Psycopg and SqlAlchemy), Template directories etc. It is
designed in such a way that writing and rolling out a new module is very
easy. I have done all of the authentication and cookie control (which
can be modified for our needs, but is a very useful generic solution).
Individual pages simply call one authentication method, and it currently
either redirects the user to a login page/another page, or allows
access. So the 'framework' is already laid out, and page writing could
be divided up amongst a few people and rolled out independently.

I've used this in both my day job and my freelance work with great
success. All of the code is written in Python, and is well encapsulated,
so admins can worry about authentication, and web page designers only
have to worry about page design, someone else could handle the database
interface, if so desired.

My thoughts back then were, Zope/Plone is intimidating, difficult to
deal with at times, and may narrow down the help we can enlist. But if
we give people the opportunity to learn Python, Database interface
tools, CSS, etc., it would increase this possibility.

Please let me know your thoughts. "What? Are you crazy? " is a common
response I get to proposing such drastic changes. But a few months
later, everyone is always happy with the results. Now that I have the
time, I can commit to regular support and online classes/sessions.

We can start with a code review. if you give me until Friday, I can
clean up a copy of my framework and put it together for you. I also have
a CherryPy slide show I have done, outlining the framework.

Thanks for your time,
Gloria