[Actionchix] In-person LinuxChix website hackfest: linux.conf.au, 20 Jan 2007

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jan 9 04:09:46 UTC 2007

Hi all,

No progress has been made on the new linuxchix.org website (the one
hosted at http://www.linuxchix.org/ has been supposedly undergoing a
redesign for a year now) for a very long time; my fault more than
anyone's.

Since chix are gathering for linux.conf.au in Sydney in a week, I'd like
to have an in-person hackfest here to get it moved further along. This
probably won't be the most exciting hackfest in the world; mostly I
imagine we'll be making a list of sysadmin tasks that need to be done to
start the transfer of webpages to the new system, and then hopefully
doing most of those tasks. Some HTML migration might go on, but web
design probably won't be the key focus.

The reason I want to do this in-person is mostly just that it gives us a
chance to move some of the more work-a-day tasks along and come up with
a decent list of things for volunteers to do that can be moved back to
the actionchix mailing list.

When: Saturday 21 January 2007

Where: In the city of Sydney, Australia, hopefully somewhere around UNSW

       I'd appreciate any suggestions from Sydney Chix about a venue
       with wireless close to UNSW (the linux.conf.au venue will be
       closed by Saturday) for probably a small number of people.

What: checking out the Plone install on linuxchix.org, creating logins,
      devising a list of pages to be moved, and where they will be moved

Just a note to Sydney Chix: this hackfest will be on the global
www.linuxchix.org website, not the chapter sydney.linuxchix.org one,
although if someone wants to hold a parallel hackfest in the same venue,
go ahead.

Details at http://lca2007.linux.org.au/LinuxchixOrgHackfest — I'd
appreciate RSVPs from anyone coming so that I can let you know where the
final venue is. And actionchix who can't come (which is most of you),
stand by for a todo list afterwards.

-Mary