[Actionchix] Magazine Step 1: Set up wiki - volunteers?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Aug 29 06:33:00 UTC 2007

Sorry if I'm catching up with this late.

I'd like to help with the magazine when I can. I write good docs and
explain myself very well: I can take something to pieces and make it
clear to a new user, for example. I love introducing people to new
ideas and skills. (I'm a teacher by vocation.)

I don't know if we've got as far as content, but I've noticed some
suggestions in other posts. We're need to provide for both
experienced users and new or less experienced users. I suggest we run
both those levels, providing at least an article and a Q&A section
for both.

One edition of the magazine could include, for example:

Article: AJAX programming tips and tricks
Artlcle: What's scary about the command line? Step-by-step intro.

Q&A: Under the Hood
  • CMS or Wiki?
  • Script kiddie repellants (spray or rollon)
  • How secure is Apache?
  • Advantages and disadvantages of "quick and dirty" scripting

Q&A: It's Your Computer
  • What's a "distro" (and why do they have such weird names)?
  • How can I get rid of a program that won't quit? (The Zombie
Lives!)
  • What's a "soft reboot" and "hard reboot"?
  • Where do I find logs and debug information?

We could also have regular columns on:

The newest, shiniest gadget
Chix conference report
Choosing hardware (series)