[Actionchix] Meta: need for wiki

Strata R Chalup strata at virtual.net
Fri Aug 24 16:42:28 UTC 2007

Brenda wrote:
>Drupal has various wiki modules ...  I'm not sure why a wiki is
> necessary, though.

Good catch on using a built-in module to leverage the existing Drupal authentication.

Unless the Drupal system makes authoring as painless as a wiki, there is value in using a wiki or wiki module to lower the barrier to entry for creating and maintaining content.

I've found that even one extra screen to plow through to edit stuff can be too many.  It's a real blessing to just add a WikiPage as you create content, and not have to figure out what CMS category it belongs in to figure out which facility to use to add it. That latter being why I eventually gave up on using the Slash CMS engine after one was finally set up for sagewire.sage.org.

Content could be created and updated in the wiki portion, and as things mature (finalized articles, FAQ revisions, etc) they could be promoted or percolated up to a primary CMS item, leaving the wiki item as the equivalent of 'active development'.

I'm interested in other folks' opinions, just sharing my own.  Precautionary note as sometimes my writing style comes across as didactic or as if I'm trying to make rules for people.  Trying to fix, but low on brain cells this week due to illness.

best,
SRC