[Actionchix] Brainstorm: Creating woman-friendly Linux on-line mag

Sulamita Garcia sulamita at linuxchix.org.br
Wed Aug 22 09:47:45 UTC 2007

Rolla, this is an outstanding idea. Please count on me as one of the
writers, read proofing, finding other writers and so. I'm very bad at
making the layout, but I know people who can teach me.

There is some sort of Zines going on here in Brazil, we could have a
LinuxChix Zine. I also will make an effort to create a group to translate
it.

About licensing, I believe there are some sorts of licenses we could look
at, like the GNU FDL, Creative Commons, or just "you can copy, quote or
modify as long as you cite the author/source".

regards,

> Hey Chix,
>
> Since there are so many wonderful, talented writers in the group, and
> since we already have linuxchix set up with a webserver, why not have
> the on-line mag attached to the website?  (something like linuxchix/mag)
>
> Suggested steps:
>
> - Create a wiki where linuxchix can upload their articles and get them
> proof-read/copy-edited. (I guess we could do a vote on whether later on,
> we'd invite others to write or to contribute, even guys? Anyway, we
> could vote later on this)
>
> - The articles from the wiki will be collected throughout the month
> (assuming a monthly pub. since we're all pretty busy being super Linux
> chix with jobs)
>
> - Once collected, there will be an appointed person(s) (maybe Isabelle
> Hurbain?  You said you might have time?) or we could vote of course on
> who this person(s) is?  Either way, they would use their favorite
> editor, and put all the articles together, throw in a few images to go
> along with the articles.
>
> - They'd be a linuxchix-mag committee who would give the final
> suggestions on the publication (or it could just be open to all
> linuxchix, again, depending on who has the time), and voila!
>
> Other notes:
>
> - I'm not very good with the legal stuff, but we could even say it's an
> 'open source' mag since all the article submissions, editing and final
> decisions would be made out in the open.
>
> - We could over free advertising for any woman-friendly or woman-centric
> folks so we can spread their word.
>

> Of course, this is a high-level plan, there would still need to be a
> process or two in place for this like format, content, etc.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> rs

Brain: Prepare yourself for your 15 minutes of fame
Pinky: after that, can I have 15 minutes of macarena?