[Actionchix] Website migration progress report #2

Jen-Mei Wu jenw at colorfulexpressions.com
Mon Sep 4 20:16:10 UTC 2006

Gloria and I haven't had a chance to talk for more than a minute but
will probably be able to talk later today.

I noticed that there's no gcc on the server. I thought about installing
gcc then thought that the absence of the compiler might have been a
security consideration ... can anyone confirm this?

In the meantime, I'm going to try to do an install without gcc unless I
hear that gcc will work. To do this, I've setup a Debian Sarge box w/ an
apt sources.list like the one we have in production. I've installed
zope, which gets zope 2.6, and it's running okay -- this is how it's
installed on our server.  I've also installed zope2.9 via apt and need
to test to make sure that it has no ill effects on zope 2.6 and that it
runs Plone 2.5 okay.  If we feel good about things working, we'll do the
same thing in production. If not, I'll copy my locally compiled
Python/Zope/Plone up to the server and see if that works better.

I'm writing this message in between a march for immigrant rights and a
meeting so not much will get done for a few hours. Gloria -- I'll give
you a call when I'm back at the computer.

Jen-Mei

--
Jen-Mei Wu
Colorful Expressions, Inc. -- Help for your four-letter computer days!