[Actionchix] Website migration progress report #3

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Oct 7 23:31:21 UTC 2006

#3 of the attempts at weekly update requests.

By next week, 2.1 should be available for comment.

----

Here's the current plan, and * is where we are:

 1.  Plone to be installed on the main server at, say,
     beta.linuxchix.org, locked up behind HTTP Basic Auth (to keep Google
     from indexing it and the general public away from it until it's
     live) [DONE: at test.linuxchix.org, although not in DNS and there
     might be issues with that]

 *2.1. List to be made of all webpages that need transfering [As no one
       else volunteered, I will endeavour to make this available for
       comment in one weeks' time]

 2.2 Accounts to be made on the Plone site for migration volunteers

 2.3 The current website to be set read-only or the nearest equivalent
     (with the exception of the news manager).

 3. Content migration to begin into Plone under the direction of Chris
    and Jen, following the new site architecture as devised by Chris and
    Amy.

    Content migration should be tracked using some kind of todo list, eg
    on the wiki. As many volunteers as we have should do the transition.
    A smaller number of people should check each page for semantically
    sane XHTML after each page is transferred.

    Any pages moving URLs should have their old and new URLs recorded in
    the todo list for redirecting.

 4. Simultaneously with 3, Plone administrators to set up the following
    features:

    1. a news feed with RSS
    2. an "events" for upcoming conferences and LinuxChix events with
       RSS and, if possible, iCal.

 5. Once migration is complete, the new site should become www., the
    basic auth be dropped, and redirects go into effect.

 5.1 Documentation on the Plone site should be written: where is it
     installed? How do we do upgrades? How do we apply security patches? Who
     is responsible for this?

 6. After the new site goes live, I will make a decision about design,
    and call for volunteers to implement it as a Plone skin (and for
    accessibility volunteers to give feedback).

 7. After the new site goes live, we will do whatever is required to set
    up website translation.