[Actionchix] Website wishlist

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sat May 20 06:51:10 EST 2006

jennyw wrote:
> The forums wouldn't replace the mailing lists, just provide an
> alternative means of accessing them.  Think of it as an upgrade to the
> archives that we already have in place. The interface would be
> significantly better, we'd have a search function, plus there'd be the
> ability to post (for registered users only).  I'd prefer if the forums
> were generally accessible, but we could also make them accessible only
> to registered users (like it is now with the archives).

I don't think they should be accessible without registering and certainly
not allowed to be crawled by search engines.  You have to subscribe to the
email lists to get the messages delivered so why should it be any
different because its on a web page?

> We'd make registration necessary on the forums. It's a bit harder to
> automate registering then posting on a web forum (particularly if we
> choose one that's not as widely deployed) than it is to spam via SMTP.
> I'm not saying it's not possible, but none of the web forums I've used
> -- and many of them have significantly higher traffic than LinuxChix --
> have had spam problems.

I have had spam on a couple of forums that I admin.  I require
registration with those goofy 'please type in this very hard to read text'
validations.

>> And then there is the annoying polling aspect of having to see if there
>> are new postings.
>>

> Not sure what you mean here.  Are you referring to the gateway needing
> to poll a POP or IMAP server?

No, I'm referring to the user having to poll the forum to see if there is
anything new posted.

Will the forums respect the "X-No-Archive: Yes" header?

--
Kathryn
http://womensfooty.com