[Actionchix] Plone site is up

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Fri Mar 31 15:57:39 EST 2006

Hi, everyone,

The Plone site for testing is up:

http://linuxchix.dangerousideas.com:8080/linuxchix

Feel free to sign up for an account and play around. If you want more
access, let me know.

I decided that I probably wouldn't find the time and spare parts to fix
my server quickly, and since I need to have a server up to test other
stuff too I got a dedicated server at Simpli (Erica's company). Much
easier! However, I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this server, so
we may need to move this at one point in the near future (more practice
for when we do this in production ;-) ).

I installed Plone in a self-contained way (Python 2.3.5, Zope 2.8.6, and
Plone 2.1 are all installed in one directory and can be independent of
other Pythons or Zopes), so if we need to install the older version of
Zope and have it run concurrently, that shouldn't be hard.

I've e-mailed Gloria about getting started on the migration script,
which is pretty straight-forward.

For the others who've said they're interested, here are some things that
we can do to prep for migration:

* Are there any Plone modules you think we should have?  The only one I
think would be really great if we wanted to use it would be
EnSimpleStaging.  This product gives you workspaces where you can work
on parts of your site privately (i.e., no changes are visible to the
public) until you're ready to publish them. It also provides version
tracking.

* In production, we'll have Plone sitting behind Apache and setup Plone
with Virtual Host Monster. Also, we may set up caching for the main site
and have a separate URL (non-cached) for contributors to login to.  We
may as well set this up now so we're ready for when we move to production.

* Do we want to create a basic template for the Plone site so it doesn't
look Plone-y?  Maybe something based on the current look (don't want to
put too much effort into it since the redesign is going on).

If you're interested in any of the above, please let me know.  Even if
you don't have a lot of experience with the stuff we're doing but want
to learn. I think at one point it would be great to do a shared screen
session to show how to install all this stuff to a few people.

Jen