Moved to grrltalk (Re: [Actionchix] OLD old LinuxChix logo and Brazil)

Fazia Begum Rizvi fazia at faziarizvi.net
Thu Mar 30 14:19:05 EST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Mary wrote:

> Well, let's put it this way: the conversation is currently diverging off
> into all kinds of talk about cultural meanings and cultural significance
> and the ways women think and the ways they live and how images reflect
> that. While that's a good discussion to have and interesting and so on,
> it's not directly conducive to the work we're trying to do here, which
> is to design and build a better site at linuxchix.org

As an anthropologist and someone who works every day with end users of web
sites, and after having worked with professional graphic designers on
several projects - I couldn't disagree more.

The cultural meanings discussions are this listserv's equivalent of a
focus group session, and focus groups are a valuable exercise for
marketers and designers when trying to come up with a brand identity. They
should be informing the potential visual identity designers and web
designers about how Linuxchix sees itself and how the members want it to
be seen, before anyone puts pen to paper (or pixel to Photoshop as the
case-may-be.)

-Fazia