Moved to grrltalk (Re: [Actionchix] OLD old LinuxChix logo and Brazil)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Mar 30 07:51:39 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> i joined volunteers because i wanted to give a course. then i was
> sent to action becuase i wanted to follow the discussion going on -
> and now grrltalk for follow up. In short, to propose to do
> something, you have to post to volunteers. To do it, action, and to
> discuss the consequences of doing it, or not doing it - grrltalk,
> and now with all the cultural differences coming up - there will be
> a new list called 'culture".

That's not always so. Usually you will propose to do something to
volunteers, there will be a short discussion there, and you will do it.

This particular case is a bigger job. We want to redesign and redeploy
the entire site. That discussion would overwhelm volunteers but is
perfect here. But for projects like courses, where the infrastructure is
in place, the whole discussion takes place on volunteers.

And free-wheeling discussions always get moved off specific purpose
lists like this onto grrltalk. This has been going on on linuxchix for
years. I'm esepcially keen not to have actionchix, which is one of the
few lists on which we *work* together, and which is a baby list,
derailed by a potentially long and potentially hot discussion that is
actually unlikely to directly and immediately impact our work. If you're
only here to follow the discussion... well, you are welcome to be here,
but you are not who I am running actionchix for.

> Strangely enough, the members of all these lists are the same. Why
> not just have one list?

No they aren't. The active posters in all discussions are overlapping.
The audience is not.

We don't have one list because many of our members are only interested
in a certain type of discussion. They can join just one list.

-Mary