[Actionchix] Re: OLD old LinuxChix logo and Brazil

Lisa lisaj at spiritualfruits.com
Sun Mar 26 08:44:19 EST 2006

> Whatever we do, I would like to see a solid, coherent, professional
> looking LinuxChix web site in the end.
> I was disgusted and turned off.  One of the main reasons was the logo.
>  To me, it focused too much on the "I am a sexy female!" part and
> almost not at all on the "Linux" part.  One of the main problems with
> being a woman in computer science is the "groupie assumption" - that
> you are not really into computers yourself, you just want to hang out
> with the cool guys who do computers, and you buy your entry with the
> fact that you are a beautiful woman.  The logo screamed "groupie" to
> me - I mean, no computer or Tux in sight, just the word "LINUX"
> printed across her (very prominent) breasts.  I did not want to be
> part of a group that represented itself with that logo, because I want
> to be taken seriously as a Linux developer in my own right.  So I
> left.

I posted about this earlier on and I agree wholeheartedly.  I think
*the* single biggest problem, by far, that women in Linux (or technology
in general) have is not getting taken seriously.  That's certainly been
my experience in my years as a computer tech.  This website will be the
first and maybe the only impression many people will get of LinuxChix.
A website that first and foremost showcases our love of technology, our
professionalism, and our wide range of talents, while eliminating the
sexualizing of ourselves and what we do, is IMHO the best way to start
off on the right foot.

> I would personally prefer that the name "LinuxChix" isn't associated with the old old logo,

I agree.  For me it typifies the exact opposite of the way I would like
to be represented as a woman in technology.

On other subjects... I don't mind at all if some of the contributions
for the website come from men.  Supportive men are just wonderful and
they set a great example for other men to follow.  :)  I mean, how many
men out there would be bothered with contributing to _anything_ geared
toward women?  I say if they're willing to help, then I for one will
joyfully and graciously welcome that help.

Lisa