[Actionchix] HTML helping hands

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Mar 16 10:24:25 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 08:56 +1100, Mary wrote:

> there are a *lot* of people who still use:
>
> <ul>
> <li>list item 1
> <li>list item 2
> </ul>
>
> which is not XHTML. Some of these people willbe writing content for us
> *after* the transition. Unless the CMS auto-validates and cleans HTML,
> XHTML will be hard to continually maintain.

The problem is that if you're trying to create a css-only layout, it
will be difficult to do so with unclosed tags.

This  should be resolvable to some degree by the ttw (through-the-web)
editor anyway.  Maybe we should add some requirements language about the
editor?

In particular, fckeditor ( http://www.fckeditor.net/ ) is one popular
rich text editor that can be plugged into most cms'. It has rich text
editing buttons for lists and puts css styles into a drop down list to
be applied. I believe it matches returns to <p>, etc etc.

E.G. Plone can be used with fckeditor (http://www.fckeditor.net/demo/ ),
tinymce (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/example_full.php?example=true ),
kupu (http://kupu.oscom.org/screenshots/), etc.

hth