[Actionchix] Cleanup and design

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Mar 16 08:27:51 EST 2006

I already did a cleanup last May when Mary asked for help with fixing
the live feeds page. If anyone wants it I'll dig it out and maybe that
helps provide a starting point?

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 11:34 -0800, Lisa wrote:
> Yeah, like Karine and Ruth said.  :)  I'd be happy to do cleanup and am
> used to XHTML but HTML 4.01 is ok.
>
> Btw, we're likely to encounter logistical problems while applying styles
> to untidy code, such that we may want to consider doing the cleanup
> first.
I agree - a css layout won't work without cleaning up the html.

> Either that, or leave everything on the site as-is until both
> style and cleanup are complete, then upload everything at once - but
> then we'd need a separate testing area.
This sounds kind of like redundant work. Why not just do the redesign
and focus energy on putting that into the new cms rather than expending
a near equivalent amount of energy on making the old design work in the
cms?

> > At this stage, while the discussion of the new CMS is finishing up, we
> > can talk a little about what we want from the new design. Here's
> > some things that came up:
> >
> >  - attractive  :)
> >  - light-weight
> >  - standards compliant
> >  - accessible

I would add
* high navigability (Information architecture)
  * Degrades to older browsers - meaning it's legible though perhaps not
pretty

.02
chris