List archives (was Re: [Actionchix] State of the new website)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Jun 27 18:20:37 UTC 2006

On 27-Jun-06, at 1:05 AM, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Is anyone here on mailman-devel? If so, we could ask if anyone else
> has arranged something like this, or anything that would help us do
> so.

I'm on mailman-devel, although to be honest I haven't been reading it
much lately because I've been too busy to actually do any devel myself.
   Still, I can answer most of that off the top of my head.

Mailman already has an NNTP gateway, which, as far as I know, works
well.   We can use this anytime, right now, if we want.  I've never set
one up, however, and no one else has stepped forwards to say they have.

There are many people who've got mailman->forum things on the go, but I
don't know offhand if any of them is freely available to us. (My
impression is that these are usually be one-off specific-site things,
but my impression may not be correct here, and that doesn't necessarily
mean we couldn't find someone who'd be willing to share code.)

My feeling, for the moment, is that we should just switch archivers,
then evaluate some other systems once we see if fixing the archiver
solves most of our problems.  Minimal work first. :)

My current favourite is http://httpd.apache.org/mod_mbox/ -- I was
hoping to be able to try this on my personal lists, but the server that
hosts them is having hardware issues, so that's been put off until its
replacement is ready.   I'll have a chat with Dancer about just doing
that for our lists now.  It doesn't actually look overly difficult, and
we could probably do it without stripping out pipermail, even.

  Terri