[Actionchix] State of the new website

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Jun 27 01:36:10 UTC 2006

On 26-Jun-06, at 8:28 PM, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> I'd actually prefer them all to be moved to HTML, it means that we're
> not relying on the archive links being constant (every so often Dancer
> and Terri want to rebuild them for various reasons and I scream about
> the courses URLs changing). But for my own courses I never had the
> time.

I agree with Mary:

(a) We don't rebuild those archives very often (we've done this maybe
3-4 times), but there is no way to guarantee that URIs will stay the
same if we ever have to rebuild again.

(b) HTML pages can be changed much more easily if the course needs
updating (eg: there's a mistake in a lesson or something.)

It's easy enough to copy the HTML page generated by Mailman into our
site stuff (really, finding the URI is the hard part -- once you've
found the page, copying it instead of linking it is fairly simple) and
if course instructors don't have time, I know we've got a decent number
of chix volunteers who'd be happy to take the few minutes required if
someone just told them what needed to be done.

  Terri