[Actionchix] Re: Moving linuxchix.org to Plone

Val Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 22:27:20 UTC 2006

On 7/25/06, jennyw <jennyw at dangerousideas.com> wrote:
> Dancer Vesperman wrote:
> > Either way. You've got root access to the server now. I don't know the
> > plone installation process. I'm happy to do it if someone will give me
> > sufficient clue, or you can have a go yourself.
>
> I've installed Plone a few times and can do the install ... Whether I do
> it or someone else does it, I'd suggest finding a date and time that a
> few interested people can be around for so we can do this together (e.g.
> shared screen session, discussing it on IRC).
>
> If I'm doing the Plone install, it'd be best to pick a date after this
> coming weekend. I live in San Francisco, CA, US -- GMT -7 during
> daylight savings time. I'd prefer some time between 6 a.m. and midnight
> here, but of course this is negotiable depending on where others are. I
> believe this translates to between 1300 UTC and 0700 UTC.

Jen,

I understand the goal of helping LinuxChix learn system administration
through administering the LC servers.  However, I think that this may
not be the best time for a learning experience.  I am concerned that
if the web site upgrade takes too long (at this point I am estimating
1 year, start to finish), we'll lose our momentum.  Trying to schedule
a shared screen session looks like it will add a lot of overhead and
delay.

Could we instead do some kind of sysadmin internship program?  Get
people interested in learning sysadmin work in contact with the
sysadmins and start coordinating over IRC, perhaps?

-VAL