[Volunteers] Re: [Actionchix] yet another css design for linuxchix

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Jul 10 02:42:17 UTC 2006

chris writes:
> Hi,
> I made some changes to the layout and put in more content.
>
> http://mosshead.com/linuxchix/

I really liked the first one. Clean, elegant and easy on the eyes.
I might lean toward some color in the titlebar instead of black.
I like the main and sidebar colors in both iterations -- pretty yet
soothing.

I don't like the newer iteration quite as much: the padding on the left
and right forces the left sidebar area to be rather narrow, and it
also looks odd to me to have a left menu sidebar that's so far
from the left edge. More important, the sidebar width isn't big enough
for the text (at my default size, anyway) so lots of the entries
spill a little off the right side of the colored sidebar area into
the area that's colored for main text. I don't see any text actually
overlapping; but if I increase font size a couple of times (ctrl-+
twice in firefox) then I do see overlapping text. (I didn't
try increasing font size with the earlier design.)

Mousing over the sidebar items bolds them, which also changes their
size, but I like that items don't shift around and move when this
happens (a lot of web pages embolden fonts on mouseover in a way
which causes text to reflow -- really annoying!) The ones that are
wide do spill a bit farther into the content area, but that's not a
big deal since it's only the active one (the one the mouse is over)
except when they get big enough to overlap the main content text.

These designs would probably also look fine with the robopenguin
logo (or another logo image, for that matter) at the top right.

	...Akkana