[Actionchix] New website and internationalization

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Jul 5 06:48:55 UTC 2006

CC i18n-mentor, which should include our prospective translators.
Translators, on the Actionchix list the mechanics of creating the new
website are being discussed. I have asked how we fit in to that, and
this mail contains some more information on what the Plone CMS (which
will be used for the new Linuxchix site) provides to help us with our
task. You will get more detailed information as we get closer to
being ready to translate the Linuxchix content. Please send comments
and/or questions (which are very welcome :) ) to i18n-mentor.

To Actionchix:

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply to this. Non-functioning brain.

On 28/06/2006, at 1:12 AM, chris wrote:

> these are some pre-packaged internationalization Plone products that
> could be installed. http://plone.org/products/by-category/i18n
>
> Maybe you could look at the documentation for these products and
> suggest
> ones you'd like to try out?

Thanks, chris, this is exactly the sort of information I needed. :)
I should have asked more specific questions.

1.
Plone Translations [1]
"Up-to-date i18n files for Plone."

These ship with Plone 2.5.0. They are, from the description,
translations of the interface. Plone will include the capability to
enable these translations, which will help users a great deal. It
will also help our translators, in that we will only need to
translate the Linuchix-specific content, not the CMS itself.

 From their main internationalization (i18n) page [2], the Plone
translation program is well-organized and productive. The languages
page [3] shows the available languages, their status, and contact
links for each team.

2.
Plone Language Tool [4]

"When installed, a new Plone control panel action will allow you to
select various language options, such as the default and list of
allowed languages.

PloneLanguageTool is shipped with Plone beginning in version 2.1 and
up."

I think this will be useful for the site admins. It appears to be a
sub-interface to manage contributed translations, although it may
only manage the above standard Plone translations, and not our
Linuxchix-specific ones. We will find out. :)

3.
Placeless Translation Service

Separate module [5]
This appears to cover part of our translation/update process. I've
written to its author, asking for more information on how it does
that, and on the overall process of managing translations for Plone
content. It will certainly be an advantage if we can use gettext PO
format, since that is the format most familiar to free-software
translators.

4.

LinguaPlone [6]

may also be the module we need, so I have also written to its
authors. It doesn't mention PO format, but may handle it. As long as
it's something we can use effectively, the format may not matter.

5.

i18ndude

Separate module [7]

This seems to concentrate on interfacing between gettext and Plone.
This is an essential phase, so I have also written to this author.

One way or another, I should have more information about translating
Plone content, soon. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

[1] http://plone.org/products/plonetranslations
[2] http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n