[Actionchix] Website migration progress report

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Aug 26 01:01:26 UTC 2006

Plone installers: can we have a list of what is done, and what is yet to
do?

----

FWIW, I'm not posting this in order to try and make it move faster by
humiliation or something similar, but I am posting it so that the
considerable number of volunteers we have waiting around to do the HTML
transition have an idea that we're still moving and what we're waiting
on. I will be requesting these progress reports weekly-ish for the
remainder of the process. When we've moved on from the Plone install,
I'll be requesting them from the migration people, and then from the
designers and so on...

Here's the current plan, and * is where we are:

*1. Plone to be installed on the main server at, say,
    beta.linuxchix.org, locked up behind HTTP Basic Auth (to keep Google
    from indexing it and the general public away from it until it's
    live)

 2. The current website to be set read-only or the nearest equivalent
    (with the exception of the news manager).

 3. Content migration to begin into Plone under the direction of Chris
    and Jen, following the new site architecture as devised by Chris and
    Amy.

    Content migration should be tracked using some kind of todo list, eg
    on the wiki. As many volunteers as we have should do the transition.
    A smaller number of people should check each page for semantically
    sane XHTML after each page is transferred.

    Any pages moving URLs should have their old and new URLs recorded in
    the todo list for redirecting.

 4. Simultaneously with 3, Plone administrators to set up the following
    features:

    1. a news feed with RSS
    2. an "events" for upcoming conferences and LinuxChix events with
       RSS and, if possible, iCal.

 5. Once migration is complete, the new site should become www., the
    basic auth be dropped, and redirects go into effect.

 6. After the new site goes live, I will make a decision about design,
    and call for volunteers to implement it as a Plone skin (and for
    accessibility volunteers to give feedback).

 7. After the new site goes live, we will do whatever is required to set
    up website translation.