Logo licenses (was Re: [Actionchix] Final versions of robotux are here!)

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Apr 7 14:47:44 EST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006, lawgon at thenilgiris.com wrote:
> 1. There is no such thing as an irrevocable license. The copyright holder
> can always revoke it at any time. If the license is paid for, this is a
> different thing and the copyright holder may have to pay damages - but
> this does not apply here.

How does this work with licences like the GPL and so on? Is your opinion
that they can, in fact, be revoked at any time, so that for example,
Linus Torvalds could revoke the GPL on his code and sue the thousands of
people who have made derivative works? If not, what is going on with
that?

If so, I'm really uncomfortable with using any logo "at Val's pleasure"
or "at Jenn's pleasure" or whatever, because even people who are *very*
core to LinuxChix have been known to pack up and take off, but I have no
idea what to do about it.

-Mary