Logo licenses (was Re: [Actionchix] Final versions of robotux are here!)

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 6 20:44:22 EST 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> she gives permission for updates, changes etc to trusted people -
> this is different from granting a license, however restrictive -
> things like this can also be ratified with retrospective effect

I'm not quite sure I understand the difference, can you explain
further?

I assume you mean granting permission indefinitely and irrevokably
into the future?  I'm not asking this because I mistrust Val in
particular, as I hope she understands, but things happen to people.

LinuxChix went through a major disruption in 2000/2001 when the founder
decided that she no longer wished to do any work for LinuxChix. She held
the copyright on the page design and on a fair bit of the text. I
believe it was unclear for a considerable time whether we had any
permission to use or modify any of her work (please, if I have the facts
of this story wrong in any respect, I'd appreciate a correction).

Therefore, I'd like some kind of permission that we can carry into the
future, even if the copyright holder (Val, or an artist, or whomever)
becomes uncontactable, or, in fact, refuses their permission suddenly.
I'd prefer not to be scrambling for a new logo if the copyright holder
either decides to revoke permission to use it, or is no longer available
to provide continued permission.

What I want:

 - the ability for LinuxChix to use and modify the chosen logo
   indefinitely, regardless of the copyright owner's future
   contactability or continued good feelings towards us

 - the ability for LinuxChix to approve others to use and modify the
   chosen logo indefinitely, regardless of the copyright owner's future
   contactability or continued good feelings towards us

Others would like:

 - the ability to restrict (in fact, prohibit) use by unapproved others

All of these are based on the aim of providing continuity for us that
does not have a single point of failure.  I don't really mind if this is
called "a licence" or "permission" as long as it has a clear name and
those three requirements are guarenteed. Can you elaborate with that in
mind?

-Mary