[Techtalk] Listing differences between directory trees/contents

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 09:06:34 UTC 2022

> David Sumbler writes:
> > I want to have a listing of the 2 directory trees, including file
> > sizes, so that I can find the differences and correct things.  (A full

Thanks to all 3 responders to my original query.  I tried the various
suggestions, and I also started writing a Python routine to try to get
the comparison I wanted.

But eventually I decided that the easiest thing to do was simply to use
2 Nautilus windows to compare things folder by folder, and copy
anything necessary.  This took a few hours, but at least the whole
collection is now (I think) complete - all 100Gb or so of it!

I had downloaded Meld and tried that, but although it looked as if it
would extremely good working on 1 or 2 local filesystems, it was
painfully slow at communicating with my tablet, connected by USB.  (I
didn't want to remove the SD card from the tablet because I had
previously had problems with it when I didn't allow the device to
format and set up the card itself.  The whole collection became
unreachable, although the tablet still reported the space as being
used.)

rsync is clearly very powerful and versatile, and I am sure that is
probably the way forward on another occasion.

Thanks again.

David