[Techtalk] Best substitute for Scientific Linux?

Ricardo Dalceno rddalceno at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 12:48:57 UTC 2021

Hi MG,

Well... I think you should try Debian.
I use Slackware and it is very close to your experience (a Linux for
keyboarders) but it lacks the huge list of software available in
distributions like SciLin or Debian.
IMHO, Debian is the nearest distro of what you want.
I hope this is the kind of info/opinion you were looking for...

---
Ricardo 'j0k3r'

Em qua., 24 de fev. de 2021 às 04:39, <mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org>
escreveu:

> Hi, all,
>
> My mental home for the last six or so years was declared moribund in 2020
> and dead by November.  They pulled the plug on him November 30th, 2020.
> (hey, if the "Siri" I created is a breathy "Rouel", the "she" men use for
> objects can be a "he" in my book)
>
> That was the Fermilabs Scientific Linux system 6x.  I loved everything
> about it, but especially the way it catered to old keyboardists like me.
> Vim-like, my fingers rarely had to reach for the mouse with SciLin 6x.
>
> All of the recent downloads of the 64x (also moribund) versions of
> Scientific Linux have a ghastly desktop that requires this muriform
> intervention.
>
> Can anyone recommend a desktop environment that will let me select objects
> on a 'desktop' by typing in 'first to however many letters they need to
> make them unique'?  The latest Gnome for that 64x version of Scilinux
> ignores keyboard letters and an altogether different install of Mint does
> as well.  They won't even let me do an "alt/spacebar/m" to maximize!
>
> My flitting fingers and I thank you for considering this and for any
> suggestions you might have to solve it.
>
> MG

Ricardo D. Dalceno
"All the world is a stage"