[Techtalk] seeking backup solution recommendations

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Mon Feb 8 19:06:46 UTC 2021

Hi Conor,

Thank you for responding and for all that information!

Since my partition is formatted in the xfs file system, I should try the
xfsdump solution.

It appears to me (from my reading of the man pages, but my understanding may
be faulty) that "dump" (or xfsdump) will not permit me to select directories
or subdirectories for backup, but rather backs up an entire partition.  If
that is the case, it may be less useful to me than "tar", but still worth a
try.
Thank you for your script suggestions.  If I get to try it, I'll write back
and let you know how it worked for me.

No one else has responded, and, you can probably guess since I am still
using "tar", I haven't found anything better yet.

Meryll Larkin