[Techtalk] Recommendations for Server Hosting

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Wed Sep 25 22:06:01 UTC 2019

On 9/25/19 1:45 PM, Kagan MacTane wrote:
> Hi, Folks--
>
> I have a physical server that's been parked in a place with a static IP for a while. It's Ubuntu 16.04, running web, email (POP, IMAP, and SMTP), and
> DNS for a few domains and a few users. The situation is changing such that I can't keep it there anymore, but I don't have a housing situation that
> includes static IP addresses anymore.
>
> It seems like I need to set up a cloud or virtual or remote server situation. Right? And migrate all users, email, etc. over to it.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on good services for this? And/or on best practices for this migration? Thank you in advance.

If I may recommend my own service - prgmr.com - we try to keep our IP address space clean, which is important for email hosting. I helped SVLUG
perform a forklift migration of their physical server to a virtual and can help some with the steps there if you don't have a lot of time and/or an
easy means to start from a clean install.

--Sarah