[Techtalk] Network printer

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 19:59:29 UTC 2016

My partner and I have at last bought a house together, and we now have a
nice little study with her computer and mine, as well as my HP LaserJet
1010 B&W printer and her Epson XP-225 colour inkjet printer.

I decided that it would be good if both computers could control both
printers.  (Both computers are currently running Ubuntu 12.04)

I managed to get the Epson set up on our wifi and installed on both
computers, so I'm half way there.

The HP printer, though, is not wifi capable, and is connected to my
computer via USB.  I am extremely vague about what I need to do to turn
it into a network printer.  I suspect that it means tangling with Samba
(which has always been pretty much of a mystery to me).

Am I right?  And can someone point me in the direction of some useful
explanation of what I need to do?  My on-line searches haven't been very
productive so far.

David