[Techtalk] GIMP: Changing all set pixels to black

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Tue Jan 19 04:46:32 UTC 2016

What are the odds? I just had exactly the same problem occur in a
picture I was working on and I remembered that Akkana had answered your
question much more accurately than I had, so I looked again at her
answer and was going to attempt it to solve my problem when I stumbled
upon an even better solution.

When going to Gimp's "Layer" menu and the "Transparency" submenu I was
going to choose the "Remove Alpha Channel" item when I suddenly noticed
the "Threshold Alpha..." item. Intrigued (I'd never used it before) I
tried it and found it did exactly what I wanted and allowed me to tune
exactly how much of the partly transparent black I wanted to make fully
opaque black.

Thanks, David for the question and Akkana for your answer, without both
I would likely never have found this neat function. It made my day. :)

Cheers,

	- Miriam